Monday 6 November 2006

The future is here

I need a bookcase for a specific spot under the window. From earlier surfing, I know Ikea has one just the right size. I just checked their Edinburgh stock online, found they have none at the moment, and then had a web chat with an Ikea person who told me when they will have some.

Our grandchildren will probably be bored to tears by our tales of the olden days, paper catalogues, telephones (I can even remember analogue!) and social skills.

Of course, at the same time M's doing the dishes by hand, because the modern inhabitants of this fascinating island cannot see any sense in a dishwasher. I did hear one good reason for not using a dishwasher though: Eric said they have one in their unheated house in the Highlands, but washing the dishes by hand in hot water makes you warmer so everyone prefers that.

No comments: